It’s Monday! The children are back in school, your husband back at work and the promises of a new start to a new work week is now your current reality. The only person that will get in the way today of your goals will be You!
5:45am my alarm clock welcomes the new day as I rub the sleepies out of my eyes and grab for my phone. My alarm clock happens to be on my phone so, therefore, I have to grab my phone first thing to quiet the annoying sound that interrupts such beauty sleep. I am definitely a creature of habit, by default I press snooze, in fear I might accidently fall back to sleep, then I open my bible app and read what the verse of the day is. I have been dealing with a little bit of anxiety lately so when I scrolled down and read anxiety in Psalm 94, I decided I would just check the whole chapter out. There it was in bold print the words I needed to hear on this beautiful Monday…..”Blessed is the one you discipline, Lord…….” I was super encouraged. I roll out of bed and head to the kitchen to prepare my children’s lunches for school. I kept repeating to myself blessed is the one who is disciplined, yes blessed is the one you discipline, Lord! How great this would be for me to just post all over my food pantry, my refrigerator, my car, my bathroom mirror. If I was going to start this Monday back on track with my eating habits then I would have to plug into the promises of God’s word. Discipline is something that does not come easy for me. In fact, I am the silly girl who will make up weird challenges and with hold certain things in my life for a month at a time just to practice self control.
I lift weights with my husband on average of five days a week. This is something I have enjoyed participating with him for about five years now. You never really have to beg me to go work out. I LOVE putting on the work out clothes and heading to the gym to pump some iron. I actually look forward to this during my day. If only I could be as excited about my diet and motivated about my food choices. Once I get momentum I can eventually do well with my eating habits, it is always that first initial kick start that is very daunting! I love CARBS and I love CHOCOLATE. Saying no to a warm gooey brownie may be nothing for you to, but it just about KILLS my me to say NO! My love for chocolate and brownies is that deep! It reminds me of a poem I read in grade school about a little girl named Abigail who told her parents that if they didn’t buy her the pony she wanted she would die. Okay, maybe not to death extremes, but you get the picture I am trying to paint here! When I focus on weight loss I don’t concentrate too hard on the numbers on the scale, I like to actually focus on inches lost. The scale can be a big discourager for me as I may have gained muscle mass and lost body fat that week, but because it tattle tails that I went up two pounds, here ushers thoughts of defeat and all other sorts of nonsense I could really live with out in that moment of my vulnerability to give up.
I am no fitness pro or nutritionist, but this is my secret formula I like to live by when I get serious about changing my body.
Cardio 30-60 minuets a day + weight lifting targeted on one body part a day; post work out protein shake + 3 low carb/high protein meal choices + 2 “good- fats”, low carb snacks +1 awesome cardio music play list + water, water, water + patience and time (a good month) +hard work + self control+ lots of discipline= positive body change results and healthier me; aka, one Happy Gal!
Today is Monday and my mind is made up! I will not let this day disappear into the night with feelings of regret. My goal is to stay on track with clean eating food choices. I would also like to drop body fat to appear more lean and cut.
This is how I reach my goals:
- I will seek the Lord’s help through prayer in all areas of my life that I need help with discipline, including self control and resisting temptation.
- I will post my cute notes I have hand written to remind me that I am blessed when I am disciplined as a reminder to keep asking for his strength when temptation of bad food choices or laziness comes my way.
- I will say no to the junk I have been eating for a month now and yes to better food choices!
- I will ask my husband to help keep me accountable of my food choices while dinning in or eating out.
- I will make my way to the gym and give it my all during my work out while enjoying my time with my favorite hot work out partner, my husband!
- I will invite my girlfriends to zumba classes for cardio.
- I will run/walk 30 minuets, 5 days a week.
- I will give thanks to the Lord for all my success along the way.
- I will rest my head each night on my pillow with feelings of excitement, success, and satisfaction of my good choices made; no regrets!!
- I will extend grace, love, and forgiveness to myself on days that I fall short of my own expectations.
- I will repeat the steps above each day following, knowing that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!
“You were not meant to do what’s easy, you were designed to challenge yourself!”– Justin Timberlake
My challenge will be to starve this monster called “My cycle of self defeat.”
How will you challenge yourself on this Monday!?
What does your formula for a healthier body look like? Please comment below and share!
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/leighleighspeaks